Friday, November 20, 2009

Squamous cell Carcinoma of the head and neck. Images and staging.



-----------------------
The best overall description that I have found is at:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1289986-overview

My tumor is shown in the X-rays on the left or above. The two on the left are MRI's; the tumor is seen at the base of the tongue in the top image, and in the bottom image is seen extending into the pharynx.
The two images on the right are PET scans which highlight metabolic activity. The tumor shows up as a white blob, and the two images are taken in roughly the same planes as the MRI. Most importantly, there is no lymph node activity.

My tumor is staged as T3, N0, M0 for what exactly this means see the link above.

There are several different causes given for this kind of cancer, one of which I show in cartoon form at the top!


Frank

1 comment:

  1. Frank
    I'm still having a wee nip on the first hole. John McKee and I shared one yesterday at Highland CC. We're all looking forward to our next hickory round with you.
    Bill Engelson

    ReplyDelete