Monday, November 16, 2009

Stomach Tubes and PEGs

Monday, November 16th 2009

On Thursday last week I had a gastroscope examination and the placement of a feeding tube in my stomach. (A PEG for short) The problem was I was getting quite severe nausea and had difficulty keeping my food down, as well as it being difficult for me to swallow. Under (Heavy!) sedation they passed a tube down through my esophagus, and into my stomach and duodenum. There were a few ulcers on the wall of the esophagus, but other wise nothing too serious.

Then with the help of local anesthetic (and the heavy sedation - no point in being a hero unless it is absolutely necessary!) they put a tube through my abdominal wall and into my stomach. This allows me to feed my self without the inconvenience of it going through my mouth. I can't remember whether I mentioned it or not in a previous post, but the previous week -6th Nov. I had had all my teeth extracted prior to starting the radiation, so this had also added to my difficulties of feeding my self via. my mouth. At a rough estimate $250,000 of oral work over the years all removed in less than an hour!

I now feed myself via this PEG tube by taking a funnel and pouring in my canned nutrition.

I've been doing it for three days now and can notice the difference right away. First my throat is not nearly as painful, and secondly I'm getting back a little bit of energy. One problem had been was that I was really suffering from Malnutrition from my inability to get food down. Also much of the nausea has decreased.

No medical appointments to day! Tomorrow I am going to get my radiation mask fitted, and on Nov 23rd. - all being well I will start my radiation.. 5x a week for 7 weeks.

I'll write more later on this week.

Frank

1 comment:

  1. Not fair. You edited the post. I found it much more interesting to find you had had a 'tub' put through your abdominal wall. Probably one of those old enamel bathtubs with the ornate feet. Well, if you were under the NHS it would have been. In America I suppose you get a fancy plastic tub with whirlpool whizzers(tm)

    ReplyDelete